Category Archives: Community

Death of The Strip

EPSON scanner image
The Gazette was a free weekly where many of The Bird staffers worked to make money. Photo of Fifi by Bill Fibben

The Life and Death of Practically Everything except Franco’s…

EPSON scanner image

The Death of the Strip by John Dennis 

image009Huge bosoms loom from the screen. They sway a moment, then recede behind a narrow back, white bunched buttocks. Carefully entwined to hide their slumbering organs, the couple ruts mechanically. The sound track switches into fevered gasps, the same ecstasy sequence you’ve heard in the previous mating scenes. The camera moves closer; necrophilic pallor fills the battered theatre. The starers are mostly winos nursing their afternoon bottle. Fraternal, the derelicts pass their paperbags along the row for sips. Occasionally they remark on the action, comments about dominance and vigor long forgotten, perhaps never known. Another sip. The skin flic is their quiet place away from the street.

Stepping outside you glance toward Tenth Street, then north toward Colony Square. Where are the hippies, the runaways, the suspicious characters, the police, the curiosity seekers? Peachtree is deserted here. You could see more longhairs in downtown Dahlonega than on the famous Strip. You walk past vacant stores, interiors littered with refuse. Suddenly two bikers careen out of a bar, macho mutterings. Their steeds are nowhere to be seen. Lost somehow, they step away quietly.

EPSON scanner imageA handful of headshops are still open, but business is light, selections limited, merchandise touristy. Handlers of more genuine counter culture goods like the People’s Crafts Co-op, better known as the Laundromat, have folded. A few older stores, thirty and forty years at their locations, remain. “The Lt. Governor’s wife still  trades with us and so do her children,” one owner reveals. A flash, of Virginia Maddox wedging her way through hips, blacks, the whole street melange to buy a dress. Most business people are cautious. “I never saw anything bad happen. I don’t want to say anything else.”

Food is the hot item these days. At the expanded American Lunch tidy secretaries chat over vegetable plates; a Third Battalion Fire Chief with the afternoon free grabs a bite before teeing off.

Franco’s near Peachtree and llth is booming. Baked goods, delicatessen items, lots of pizza—1500 a day sometimes. The interior is shopping mall slick, complete with TV camera that scans the well-dressed customers. Where do they come from? “Oh, Colony Square, 17th Street, even downtown.” Why do they come? “To get pizza made with the very best meats and cheeses,” Franco answers proudly. “And the dough is rolled each morning.” Locals? “Some.” Winos? “No drunks inside. They come to the window. They like pizza too. You try it.” I taste. It’s delicious: light layers blending into a fluffy crust. How long have you been here? “Two years, a little more.” You missed the real strip. “I guess.” What now? “I stay. Business gets better. Everybody likes good pizza.” He’s right about that. I wiggle out past a long line of pizzaphiles.

Maybe in five years Franco will have the pizza concession for another Colony Square. The Marta Station will be in around llth; the shotgun apartments, boarding houses, neighborhood stores will be gone. In their place will be office towers. Toward Monroe Drive refurbishments and condiminiums will house solid middle class. Perhaps some ex-hippies, by then forged into suitable work units, will toil in those new office towers. And sometimes perhaps they will search the streets below for a thread back to their carefree days along the Strip. But they will find little to break the seal on their now ordered lives.

No doubt about it, the Strip, Tight Squeeze, Tenth Street—darling of the media, bane of respectable peo­ple and their representatives at City Hall, mecca for small town rebels, slaughtering ground for criminals and carpetbaggers, stock market for illegal drugs, boardwalk for the lonely and very young—all this is gone. Already people have trouble remembering who was there, where the buildings were, the right year. “’68? That’s going way back. Ask across the hall.”

There was crime, but nobody really knows how much. Police statistics weren’t broken down geographically until about a year ago. “You could go through the case files.” How many for the years I want? “Half a million.” Narcotics either knows a great deal or nothing, for they talk in circles, generalities. Marijuana and cocaine are up; heroin, downs and acid off. Activity in a certain location? “Maybe. Hard to say. Could be. Don’t know.”

Crime, drugs and hippies—the three are interconnected when you mention Tenth Street. Yet to focus on these items alone is to miss a great deal about a subject that has much to say about Atlanta’s future as well as its past.

Fifty years ago the Tenth Street neighborhood was one of the better addresses in Atlanta. Stretching south to Ponce de Leon, and east along it were stately homes and townhouses, the domain of many of the city’s most respected and well-to-do families. In those days Buckhead was a relatively bucolic suburb; and Brookhaven was the country. City Council Chairman Wyche Fowler recalls: “I remember hunting only two miles above Buckhead as late as 1958.” Trolleys and electrified buses still trundled through the streets. The downtown skyscrapers were undreamed of. But in the fifties, Atlanta experienced an unprecedented boom in population and affluence. During that decade the metro area swelled some 30,000, half of which flooded Atlanta proper. By 1960 nearly half a a million people lived inside the city limits, a number that has grown only slightly since. There was room in the city then. Countless trees and houses went for apartments, service stations and eateries.

Like many parts of Atlanta, Tenth Street grew in population, but declined in aesthetics and property values. Peachtree was zoned C-3, Central Area Commercial, in 1953, while the areas north of 14th remained a hodge-podge of residential and apartment zonings on into the sixties. Most of the new residents worked: there were ties to the established community; but change was definitely in the wind. Cushman Corporation assembled its 11.6 acre Colony Square package in ’65 and ’66, applying for C-3 rezoning in ’67. By then the Arts Center was going up. Speculation speeded decline: more absentee owners meant decreased maintenance, less attention from city services. Other rumblings were afoot.

Spurred by cries for more education that had grown out of the ’57 Sputnik shot, colleges opened their doors to millions of young people. Then as now, these youths looked for a Rite of Passage to convey them from adolescence into full adulthood.

The twenties had prohibition; the thirties depression; and the forties war—all effective Rites of Passage. But in the fifties not even war was called war anymore. Society provided youth with vague symbols like drivers licenses and diplomas, but these only marked equally vague changes in status: there was no large, emotion ally satisfying demarcation between childhood and maturity. Perhaps this need prompted the Beat movement of the late fifties with its romantic rebel lion.

In the early sixties the cries about feelings that the Beats had stirred spread in the student world. First folk music and then rock emerged as highly participatory movements. Large numbers of young people were coming closer together in ideas and inner rhythms.

By 1965 a small underground of Beat/alternate life style people had built up in Atlanta. At the Commune near Emory, the Big House near Tech and the Georgia State student clusters around Little Five Points, fifty or more might show up for a party.

These people knew they were different, quite how they did not yet know. They could see that the usual collegiate success plan was not for them. And those who thought about politics saw that Vietnam would not do as a Rite of Passage either. It was simply an artificial death rehearsal for our dollar bloated legions.

About this same time strange new substances began to filter into Atlanta from Mexico, Texas and California. Peyote, mescaline and LSD opened up the head and gave a glimpse of incredible other realities. The only problem was that they were too distorting for everyday use. Something was needed that would loosen the chains that bound these seekers, while still allowing them to operate in the world. What about this marijuana stuff? They tried it, and Pow! The cannabis cyclone hit the country and things haven’t been the same since. Suddenly there was an easy divider to separate the sheep from the divine goats. Folks started feeling good in a way you don’t get on Old Crow, Mill town, and Norman Vincent Peale.

Suddenly they were in touch with a whole universe of sensation and in sight that had been lost by main stream white society. They were different now: they couldn’t relate their new consciousness back to the old community. It was too structured, anyway. For their Rite of Passage they needed a separate existence. Thus, the logical thing to do was to drop out of the old order’s schools and work, because their work now was this new community. In fact, the community itself was their Rite.

These are the people who first came to Tenth Street. They came to join the small colony of artists and leftover Beats who had already made bohemian landmarks of places like the Roxy Deli and the Palatzio apartments. Later they were called “true” hippies as opposed to the hoards of imitators and displaced persons who came after them. Many were artists who came to be near the Arts Center. Others were simply looking for some place cheap near their friends, and someplace equally removed from the city’s colleges. At last, a place to be themselves.

The first head shop/coffee house scene was probably Bo Lozoff’s Middle Earth off Peachtree on 8th which opened in ’67. In a prophetic gesture the cops were there the very first night, sizing up this new lunatic fringe. Soon they had more to inspect than they’d bargained for. The Catacombs at Peachtree and 14th revved up: then came the 12th Gate where, in addition to music, the clinic that later became part of the Community Crisis Center operated for a while. Bands began to play in Piedmont Park and concerts became a regular event. Performers like the Allman Brothers, Hampton Grease Band, Boz Scaggs, Joe South, Avenue of Happiness and the Grateful Dead filled a mile-wide space with sound, and the air around the bandstand turned green with hemp.

Expressing the growing sense of community, the Great Speckled Bird was started in early ’68. Now in its 7th year, the Bird had its roots in papers like the Los Angeles Free Press and the outspoken collegiate journalism that had gradually been driven off campuses in the early and middle sixties. The Bird didn’t bother so much then with reform of the old order: it was a glorious display of new self. The early issues were direct in formation sources for the culture then firming up. Articles appeared regularly on drug properties and responses, freedom of the press, crafts, semi-religious inspiration and community doings. Satire and togetherness pieces ran often. To pick up pocket money hippies began to sell the paper along Peachtree. From there it found its way into colleges, high schools, and onto young professional’s coffee tables, everywhere raising disquiet and recruiting converts.

Despite its then radical values, the Tenth Street community might have gone on quietly for years, a haven for artists and malcontents, but three faraway events forever changed the local idyll. There was some time lag, but rapid communications and the sheer fascination that these events held for the general public insured that Tenth Street as a genuine grass roots movement would die quickly.

First came Haight-Ashbury’s much publicized ’67 Summer of Love. Haight-Ashbury as an indigenous movement probably died like Tenth Street, before its greatest fame, but what came out of the Summer of Love, in song, truckin’ and heavy media, was a social gospel of drugs and free living that infiltrated the entire country.

Next came two mass gatherings: the May ’68 March on Washington was the more organized of the two, drawing its energy from war frustration and reaching back through the civil rights movement for its tactics. The other gathering was Woodstock later that summer. There the word finally got out. Young people every where felt the call and went spontaneously, nearly half a million of them. They learned on a mass scale that they could go, that they could come together and be high on music, drugs, sex, adventure. All you had to do was go. Hundreds of thousands who had never before seen a way out, or even known that they wanted out, suddenly got very restless.

What this meant for Tenth Street was a population explosion. The Strip soon began to look like a barnyard of exotic animals—bare skin, flowing manes, and the powerful smells and sounds of a close-together herd.

Actually, the Strip was a highly diverse collection of individuals, many of them quite intelligent and purposeful. Labels were made out of drug use, outlandish dress and supposedly freer sex, but the only real standard was non-conformity. What ever established society had expected the Strip people rejected. If family had counted before they would take only first names; if money had count ed, they would have none. Whatever established society hid—its massive drug use, promiscuity and discontent —these Strip people showed openly.

Individuality was respected: if you looked hard enough you could find freaks who never touched drugs. There was only one universal sin. Squealing.

From small towns all across the South kids swarmed to the Strip. Some stayed only a few weeks, then drifted home, their Rite needs satisfied. Others remained, suspended in their flowering time. 

Many came to buy drugs. The underground network for illegal sales was not built up as it is today. Atlanta was one of the few places where drugs could actually be obtained. “Grass, speed, acid,” ventriloquist whispers came as you jostled in the crowd. “Scag, reds,” floated up from the curb. Larger dealers slept by day, venturing out at night, money belts jammed, to make connections away from the Strip. By today’s standards even the big dealers were small. A few pounds stash made you a neighborhood hero.

The Bird began to print advice about where to sleep or seek aid. Too young, too pampered, many of the new arrivals literally did not know how to take care of themselves. They didn’t recognize infection or malnutrition; they didn’t realize that rags can ignite or that rooms need ventilation. Everyone had extra people in their apartment: crash pads were jammed. The overflow slept in the parks or competed for abandoned buildings with the winos who had been driven out of downtown by Underground Atlanta. Outsiders sneered at the slovenly residents while landlords let water drain down onto the street. The city did nothing.

Stores, clubs and theatres opened:

Asterisk, Society Page, 10th Street Art Theatre, Percy Flasher, Sexy Sadie’s. Of particular interest is the Merry-go-round which came along in ’69. A young entrepreneur named Lenny Weinglass with a partner who has since departed, smelled money happening and threw their savings into the hip clothes store. Weinglass now runs 50 Merry-go-rounds out of Baltimore. Except for the Allman Brothers who were really a Macon band, Weinglass’ business growth is the only real traditional success story to come out of Atlanta’s flirtation with cultural pace setting.

There were other kinds of success however. For many the Strip provided a home. Raymond, a prison escapee from a neighboring state, was not a conventional dropout, but his story is typical. Bandied about in foster homes as a child, by the time Raymond made his way to the Strip he had spent half his 25 years in jail. On the Strip he found people who accepted him. Raymond never sold the Bird—too risky. He trimmed hedges and drove nails for spending money. He read a book or two, but he doesn’t read so well; mostly he listened, basking in the smooth vibrations. He backpacked a few times, and he painted a picture, not a bad picture for a beginner, lots of greens and open spaces. For a year he lived like a human being. Finally things got hot and he surrendered voluntarily. An other year in. Once out, confined to his hometown by parole regulations, skilless, jobless, pulled in on lineups, he’s awaiting trial now on his same old charge, burglary of a few dollars.

Angie is probably not typical either. But after seven years on the Strip she has seen it all. “I was seventeen; I had dropped out of high school. Later, when I went back I went straight into college.” Did you do drugs? “Sure, nearly everybody did.” How did you live? “I sold the Bird, I worked odd jobs. I never depended on a man, so I was better off than most women.” Angie never speaks of girls and boys on the Strip. “We were not children. We had left that behind.” How were you better off? “I never had to sell myself, or take crap from men.” Were many women younger than you? “Lots. There were thousands of runaways— thirteen, fourteen-year-olds. They could look older and get by.” Why were they there? “They were looking for something. Everybody was. We didn’t know what it was, but at least things were different than what we’d come from.” Why do you stay now? “It’s my home. So much has happen ed. It’s like my life began here.” Are you happy? “I think so. The important thing for me is other people.”

A new kind of weekender came by the thousands. Donning “hip” apparel, perhaps bought right on the Strip, these plastic hippies promenaded with the rest, hungry for mini adventure: a joint in the park, a cultish conversation, running from a cop.

Blacks were on the Strip in numbers too. They were mostly young men, searching for freedom and companionship that their own tighter, more traditional cultures could not provide.

Saturday night on Peachtree there was a nearly solid chain of body contact from 7th to 14th. Vibes raced up and down the street, throbbing like a single pulse. Dusty’s being hassled at the Krystal. Richard the Narc’s up at Jumping Jack’s let’s go to Grin’s and snort up. Watch out for the bikers they’re leaning on folks tonight. Bikers have always been around Atlanta. The Suns, the Huns, Iron Cross, more had come. Mostly Outlaws stopping off between their clubs in Kentucky and Jacksonville. Rugged, fiercely independent, many are also mean and tormented. They could and did mug, torture and kill. Some clubs maintained veritable arsenals, and they weren’t the only ones.

The hippies were by no means all gentle folk. The October ’70 riot between police and hippies grew out of hippie anger over biker harassment. The bikers got the word that night and stayed off the street, leaving a wound-up crowd that exploded when a cop attempted a street search.

Step right up. Hur-ray, hur-ray, see the Freaks. If you actually lived around Tenth Street then, you know what it was like. If you didn’t, no amount of description can give it to you. I lived less than five blocks away, but it was more like a light year. With friends I would saunter down on an evening to see the sights. Perhaps I was a more benign curiosity seeker than those Grayline Tours once proposed to bus in; more sym pathetic no doubt than those whose cars jammed Peachtree, gaping, and trying to pick up girls; gentler than the thugs who reacted to difference by assaulting with abandon on the side streets, but I was a curiosity seeker nevertheless. The excitement and carefree happiness made you feel good; you smiled, flashed peace signs. 

Maybe my values were not that removed from these adventurers: the difference between us was one of risk. To live on the Strip, to trust on the Strip, to go home on it was to risk big. Someone might flip before your very eyes. People were still learning then how to handle themselves under drugs, and unscrupulous dealers would sell poisonous compounds. Mugging and rape were rampant and a lot of it went unreported. Worst of all you could be busted. Nobody knows how many people were arrest ed for possession or selling drugs on the Strip. However, Al Horn, at one time the only lawyer in town who would take a drug case says, “I must have handled 2000 such cases from ’68 to ’72.” Not all were as a result of Strip arrests. There’s no way of knowing the real tolls in money and time in jail Strip people paid for their community.

As early as ’69 Ivan Allen’s seek and destroy police tactics caught national attention. Then Sam Massll’s “Tight Squeeze” police precinct— the Pig Pen—came along in, was it ’71? Anyway it was there a while and then it wasn’t.

Who the officers and narcs were does not matter now. Some were sensible and did good jobs; some didn’t. How much serious crime against life and property the police prevented is open to question. Their presence often served only to heighten the paranoia that was always on the Strip in some degree. Even when fifty or more officers patrolled Peachtree U.S.A. from 8th to 12th you wonder if it was more a matter of visibility than real community protection. Peachtree, Juniper and Crescent were probably safer, but, in the shadows, crime went on with a vengeance. The hip organized Street Patrol, sixty strong, walked women home and generally helped out, but the volunteers were young and the patrol floundered after a few months.

Fire was a problem too: 7693 pumper missions during ’68-72 from stations II and 15, which serve the Tenth Street area. Poor living conditions and carelessness were definite causes, but arson was the real threat. Eventually the arson squad went to “Tight Squeeze” fires as a matter of routine. “We found so many gas cans we stopped picking them up,” one investigator said.

Rumors proliferate that developers were behind some of the flames, but there’s little hard evidence. Fires could be convenient for an owner too, especially when there are 5000 suspects milling around outside. Again, little evidence. Atlanta’s fire problems have not been confined to Tenth Street however. In ’68 alarms jumped nearly 25% city-wide and have remained high ever since. Diverse sections like Johnson Ferry Road and Fulton Industrial Blvd. showed just as heavy increases as Tenth Street. Although it has never fallen to pre ’68 levels Tenth Street’s fires have slackened somewhat. Alarms in other places are still climbing.

One theory has it that the concentrated police pressure drove true freaks away, ending the Strip. More likely the police were simply the most visible of several factors that made the area an increasingly undesirable place to live; population pressure, ever poorer housing, more business people to whom the freaks were merely the drawing card, ever more hopeless transients—destitute wanderers for whom Tenth Street was a brief stimulant in the midst of long, hopeless years. And finally the inescapable fact that the Strip was a Rite. After you have passed through, after you have stood on your own and survived, you move on.

Why young people chose to test themselves this way while others of their age group went quietly to war or the factories is a pointless question. They did, and in so doing they changed all of us. Their Rite was sometimes brutal, but anything less real might not have served.

The happening that was the Strip probably peaked in 1970. That summer you could scarcely pass on the sidewalk, and the Byron Pop Festival in July drew over 100,000.

If you could pinpoint a change from community to ghetto it might be December 29, 1970. That night Tree Me Sherry a hippie and a biker protégé drew a gun in a biker arsenal at White Columns on 14th and was double barrel wasted. Simultaneously, a few blocks away on Juniper Bruce Gwynn, a sightseer from Virginia, was being tortured by other bikers, his body later dumped outside the city. Two weeks later Chief Jenkins declared “Tight Squeeze” was “no longer a hippie community, but a stopover place for outlaws and criminals from all over the nation.”

Strip population always thinned in the winter. The hoards were there again in the summer of ’71, but not as dense as the previous summer. Group consciousness diminished. Now many were street-wise returnees, aggressively stalking the territory they had mastered. You saw more downs and heroin. Arson increased and there were fire bombings: Atlantis Rising went, then the ‘Bird’ office in ’72. The permanent Strip denizens were older, tougher. The hip stores were patronized by suburbanites and straight kids. As a matron might seek out Lenox, they came to Tenth for records and smokin’ papers.

The Crisis Center’s clinics handle hundreds of cases each month: their phone calls average over two thousand—almost none of which concern drugs anymore, but by previous standards their business is way off.

The Strip has been deserted by youth, and it’s now a dangerous place to be.

Except for rape, which is off a bit, 8th to 16th on Peachtree does a brisk business in murder, robbery, assault, car theft, any category you care to name. Throw in the side streets and you have nearly as much crime as Hunter, Capitol, Cascade, Ponce and Pryor streets combined.

This is an abominable situation that the new police administration should work to correct. Hopefully they will try some new approaches. However, illegal street searches have always gone on in the district: as recently as April of this year lawyers were protesting them. Aside from” being highly questionable constitutionally, the crime rate speaks for their ineffectiveness.

New development will undoubtedly diminish crime in the area. The lower income predators and victims will be pushed into some new pocket of the city. Ponce de Leon and Little Five Points are already shaping up as hot spots. But will this time honored urban practice actually lessen crime, or merely cordon it off?

Cultural dynamic change aside, the Strip was fated to be short lived be cause it stood on very attractive real estate. The Central Area Study pre pared under Mayor Massell tells the story plainly. There will be more office space, more hotels, less housing in the Inner Ring of the city. “Growth.. .is assured.. .if concerted efforts are made to keep the traffic flowing and to remove the barriers to the investment opportunities which will inevitably generate.” The Arts Center project, among others, was designed to provide “maximum development leverage.” Enter corporate planner, exit poor people. “Spot zoning started the Tenth Street area’s problems,” says Wyche Fowler. So you reach the inescapable conclusion that the offensive hippies were truly a windfall for a predevelopment neigh borhood.Already going to seed.

It has also been suggested that Atlanta’s uptight response to hippiedom stemmed from its own insecurity. Compared to other cities’ problems, Tenth Street was mild; and after ’69 it was almost all derivative culture imported from elsewhere. Atlanta should have loved that. Yet rejection was vicious and widespread. Perhaps a clue lies in our vast—estimates run as high as 70%—middle class. Atlanta has always been the great escape valve of the South. Generations have come as the street people did, to find bright lights and opportunity. A lot of small town folk have done well here. Perhaps the seediness of the hippies reminded too many Atlantans of their own pasts.

Where are the hippies today? Everywhere. Their Rite accomplished, they have gone to work and life styles as diverse as the ones they originally came from. Whether what they experienced was really different from the adventures of past generations cannot yet be answered. Neither can we know now how well their moment in the sun prepared them for their years ahead. Only one thing can be said for certain: it was a truly grand moment.

In the aftermath of the hippie phenomenon a question remains for Atlanta. As it seeks the pearl of “international city” status, will it learn to appreciate and to plan for the diversity that is the hallmark of great cities? Glamorous as Colony Square is, let’s hope the entire city doesn’t end up looking like this; and let’s hope that the next neighborhood where artists and new thinkers congregate Won’t end up a criminals’ and developers’ war zone. 

image005

Piedmont Park Police Riot

“The Great Hippie Hunt”

Time magazine observed in October of 1969 that Atlanta’s power elite had declared

war on hippies.img780

The election started for Mayor of Atlanta and candidates tried to outdo each other on describing what they planned to do to the hippies. Suddenly city service people were very interested in the hippie areas and whether residents needed their house condemned for small code violations – developers wanted land!img774

Police gathered in advance Sunday September 20, 1969 to provoke a confrontation. Then they surrounded and attacked the crowd – hippies, children, old people, average citizens of Atlanta enjoying the music on a September morn in Piedmont Park. Yet “Law and Order” candidates arrived with film crews to use the riot as a background for railing about the hippie menace!

riotpic

Hear George Nikas interview. he was the designated provocation for the police to attack.
Read the account from

Bird Bash 2008

Bird

http://www.greatspeckledbird.org/

The Great Speckled Bird held a gathering of the tribe in May 2008.

birdbash2

birdbash1

Flock plans to celebrate paper that soared from underground

By Keith Graham  Staff Writer

Hatched with a hopeful chirp by a flock of space-age muckrakers, it soared into flight 20 years ago billing itself as “The South’s Standard Underground Newspaper.”

With revolutionary relish, the Great Speckled Bird swooped from controversy to controversy the next several years, calling out for peace and racial justice and the making of a counterculture in an offbeat manner that attracted more readers than any other weekly paper in Georgia. But the self-proclaimed “anti-war, anti-racist” newspaper plummeted and crashed in 1976, its wings clipped by lack of enthusiasm in times that were a’changin’.

Gone but not forgotten by a generation that found it groovy if far-out required reading, the Great Speckled Bird will fly again if only for a day on Saturday, ironically the start of a weekend of memorials to victims of war, including a war the Bird firmly opposed. Ex-Bird “readers, sellers, writers, staffers and all beings of this known universe” are invited to a reunion doubling as a benefit for Radio Free Georgia (WRFG) and The Fund for Southern Communities at the Atlanta Water Works Lodge.

In traditional laid-back fashion, the’ event’s organizers say they do not know exactly what will happen, though there will be some music and an exhibit to remind folks of the gory glory days. “Hopefully, we won’t have riots,” said a chuckling Tom Coffin, who created a forerunner of the Bird — The Emory Herald-Tribune, later called the Big American Review — during a brief stay as an Emory graduate student.

Coffin, 44, a crane operator who came South after earning a degree at Oregon’s Reed College, and his wife, Stephanie, an activist from the University of Washington, were among the 20 to 25 founders, mostly white civil rights activists, who chipped in $25 to $100 a head to create the Bird in March 1968. They borrowed the paper’s name from a country song recorded by Roy Acuff, which in turn had borrowed from a passage in the Bible’s book of Jeremiah about a bird different from the others.

On the inaugural issue’s front page, Coffin spelled out the philosophy. The Bird, he promised, would “bitch and badger, carp and cry and perhaps give Atlanta (and environs, ’cause we’re growing, baby) a bit of honest and interesting and, we trust, even readable journalism.” It also would offer alternatives to the American way of life for “turned on” readers.

The other front-page story in that issue set the tone for what was to come with a blast at Ralph McGill, one of the icons of Southern moderation, even liberalism. “What’s It All About, Ralphie?” attacked the early civil rights advocate for becoming a “leading exponent of U.S. imperialism and deception” by backing the Vietnam War.

In subsequent issues, the Bird told its readers about the Black Panthers, Ho Chi Minh, the drug bust of local hippie Mother David and striking garbage workers. Readers saw regular coverage of theater, art and music, too. Not just the music of acts such as the psychedelic Vanilla Fudge and mellow Donovan, but even bluegrass and country. I

The Bird arose at a time when ‘ underground newspapers were flapping their wings from Berkeley, home of the Barb, to New York, where the East Village Other and the Rat were the rage.

Robert Glessing, author of “The Underground Press in America,” estimates there were 456 underground publications by 1970.

A minimum of 1.5 million people read the undergrounds by 1972, according to Laurence Learner, author of “The Paper Revolutionaries,” and other estimates put the figures as high as 18 million.

A midsize alternative, the Bird topped out with a respectable circulation of 25,000 and won plaudits coast to coast. In Learner’s estimation, it displayed casual sophistication in writing style and a cool graphic brilliance. In a feature on the underground press in 1971, the “60 Minutes” television show said that if the Los Angeles Free Press was The New York Times of the undergrounds, Atlanta’s Bird was its Wall Street Journal, a literate paper with an analytical bent.

But success did not come without struggle. From the beginning, the Bird faced both external and internal pressures that made its flight a dizzying one.

After a damaging local smear campaign, the paper was forced to go all the way to New Orleans to find a printer. Atlanta police seized the May 26, 1969, issue, featuring a cover cartoon of an armed man shouting an obscenity under a Coca- Cola logo. Bird hawkers were harassed by police, and the paper had to go to court to maintain use of the U.S. mail system. In 1972, the paper, which carried no insurance, was the victim of an unsolved firebombing that demolished its offices near Piedmont Park.

And if the outside world didn’t succeed in destroying the paper, it sometimes seemed its own staff might

Learner’s book used the Bird as “a particularly clear example” of internal tension between cultural and political forces, a common problem for the underground papers. And staff members acknowledge there were constant discussions to define the correct ideology at regular Monday and Thursday meetings. Committed to the notion of participatory democracy, the Bird staff was organized as a collective that made decisions by majority vote and preferably by consensus.

Picking cover art, even choosing what color ink to use, was often controversial. As the women’s movement gained strength, a women’s caucus was formed to battle staff sexism. And bitter debates developed over whether the paper, which began, according to one staffer, with roots in existentialist Christian philosophy, should adopt pure Marxist- Leninist positions.

Even amid the strife, however, Bird staffers continued to try to shape a radicalism uniquely suited to the South. “A lot of us were from the South, and we kind of thought in Southern terms,” said Steve Wise, who covered the peace movement within the military, international affairs and rock ‘n’ roll.

Wise believes the Bird contributed positively to the changes that transformed the region. ‘You can see change occurring. I grew up in a segregated society,” said Wise, a Newport News, Va., native now working as a courier while writing a thesis on Latin American history for a master’s degree from Georgia State University. “When we started, the level of racism here was a lot higher than it is now. … For basically a white paper, our pro-civil rights coverage was different from any paper around. “

Howard Romaine, another founder who is now a lawyer and. aspiring country music songwriter in Nashville, Tenn., agreed that the Bird had an impact on race relations. “I never did have any revolutionary expectations,” he said, “except for the notion that black people voting in the South was revolutionary.”

Other former staffers say the paper helped to end the Vietnam War and to create a climate that has prevented the United States from going to war in Central America. And on the local level, they say the Bird helped diminish police brutality.

But by the early 1970s, some of the original staff members already had begun to fly the coop, some to other movement jobs, a few to other alternative media, most simply to try to make ends meet as they began to raise families. (The Bird’s, salaries of $25 to $60 a week did not go far.) ,

While staff” members could be replaced and were, readers could not — once members of the movement that provided the circulation base began moving into the Me Decade, losing much of their interest in the issues covered by the paper. “After ’72, the movement just sort of collapsed,” said Wise, who will celebrate his 45th birthday at the reunion. “The anti-war movement went into a very swift eclipse when the draft ended.” In re-reading the papers lately, he said, he was interested up until 1973. Afterward, the paper just seemed to be all critique without any feeling that anything positive — action by a movement — would result, he said.

A 1984 attempt at reviving the Bird with about half new staff and half old hands fizzled. “Basically, it was sort of a nostalgic thing, and there really wasn’t a market,” said Wise, who participated partly because his fondest hope had once been that the Bird would become a permanent institution like New York’s Village Voice.

“I think it was a great tragedy what happened to the Bird,” said Romaine. To become commercially viable, however, the paper would have had to open itself up to more diverse viewpoints. And, as several staffers commented, the Bird was always short on people who knew a lot about running a successful business.

However, Saturday will not be a time for pondering what might have been but for celebrating what was. “We’ve had great times laughing and talking and remembering all our old arguments,” said Stephanie Coffin, a part-time English instructor at Georgia State University who was one of the reunion organizers. “That was a fantastic period. It was an incredibly creative, incredibly alive period. And it was totally consuming. It left a vacuum in a lot of people’s lives.”

birdblast

The Phooey Party its ownself.

phooey032 phooey023

droppedImage_15

Another party for the building formerly the garage of the Governor’s Mansion,  now an outstanding home.image088 phooey010

Another party for the building formerly the garage of the Governor’s Mansion,  now an outstanding home.phooey14phooey14phooey14 image092

The Phooey Party background

shapeimage_6 Lester did not like ‘colored people’ mixing with ‘Good folks’.  Even the AJC realized Lester felt much the same way about colorful people.

maddoxhippieThe Phooey party mix intentionally included both.

Phooey Party invitation

phooey8

phooey009

Such was Maddox’s notariety that the party got mentioned in the New York Times

phooey021

Maddox used the axe handle as a symbol. He gave them out at his restaurant as “Pickrick toothpicks” to intimidate anyone trying to segregate his business. He then used that not so subtle symbol of segregation in his successful run for governor.

The Phooey Party made a peace symbol of axe handles.

phooey016

phooey036 phooey030

ScanImage010

Lester was a fool and acted so in public as camouflage for his racism as benevolent affection for his ‘lesser Colored folks’.  He even had a Black man  as Uncle Tom join him in a stage act.  One of the neighbors to the old Governor’s mansion was Mugsy.  In 1965 Time Magazine  described him thusly: “Milton M. (“Muggsy”) Smith, 63, an Atlanta insurance salesman who made a name during 16 years in the state legislature trying to repeal every segregation law in Georgia.” Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,842098,00.html#ixzz0lgEuyZnw

In 1961 Muggsy had run interference for Lester’s run for mayor of Atlanta. By drawing Black voters to himself as their benevolent friend, he almost got Lester elected mayor. Imagine if he had been Mayor during the events of Allen’s term, the early 1960s. Don’t think Atlanta would have been known as ‘the city too busy to hate’.

droppedImage_7

muggsy1 

Ever loyal to Lester, Muggsy gathered supporters to jeer at arriving guests and called the police repeatedly to complain. 

The police chief was sad he had to leave the party early lest he be seen by Muggsy’s group. phooey3.1                                                                                     

image080

phooey31

phooey033
phooey027phooey028

The Zoo -Penn at 8th

The Zoo was an apartment building that became a crash pad location and an informal commune centered around Oxford College students. The apartment had been owned by Harvey, the Pookah, an ex-Oxfordian who took in Jan Jackson and Tom Jones. Jan was an Earth Mother Hippie who took in and befriended literally everyone. Going to the park with Jan was like a royal visit as everyone dropped by to say hello, perform, or share.

Here is a photo courtesy Carter Tomassi, who also came by The Zoo. It shows Curtis, one of the still rare Southern Black hippies, Dave, Stoney, and Abe.

Stoney with 3 guys in Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 1970Dave Hoffman writes- The photo in Piedmont Park is me, Curtis Winfrey, Stoney Mae (Priscilla Star Hunnicutt) and I think thats Abe aka (Roger Wilson & Edward Brown), behind Curtis. (I’d love to hear from any of these friends from  The Zoo. Tom and Jan had a son Topher. Found Topher! He runs the Highland Lounge)

May 11 Be-In in Piedmont – Meet The Allman Brothers Atlanta!

allcov5

Where Penn ends at 8th Street is an apartment house. In 1969 and a bit, it was called The Zoo. Jan Jackson, Tom Jones and Dave Hoffman, friends from college, lived in an upstairs apartment.I was visiting on a Sunday morning in Spring 1969, May 11th.

Three guys came in the front door. I recognized one as Berry Oakley, the bass player from The Roeman’s who’d played in my hometown in South Georgia. Someone said one of the other hippie guys played guitar with Aretha Franklin. They announced they were a new band up from Macon to play in Piedmont Park. The other guy had led them to a friend at The Zoo for attitude adjustment prior to the gig.

Free music Piedmont Park was starting to be a regular Sunday event at that time. We wandered over eager to see who would play today. The stone steps were like hip hullabaloo. Some of the best musicians Atlanta had to offer had graced the steps , but so had some neophytes not yet ready for the stage, and even some who would never be ready.

The Allman Brothers looked like just another group of longhaired hippie musicians, but they had two drummers and one was black. That was unusual in 1969 Atlanta. The instant they started to play two more things became obvious. Two guitars were playing leads that intertwined around each other seductively, and these guys were so much better than anything we’d ever heard live. The bite and snarl of the blues rocked along on propulsive rhythms. The songs were old blues and originals, but all were like nothing heard before.  Recognizable fragments of other songs were sneaking through, but as soon as recognized they submerged again to let something else arise. “Wasn’t that Donovan’s song about a mountain?”

Usually when bands played people walked dogs, threw Frisbees, barbecued, and just enjoyed Atlanta’s park on a Spring Sunday.  Today everything else came to a halt. White, black,  young, and older all focused totally on the Allman’s music. The crowd was a dancing party focused towards the stone steps.

The next week’s community newspaper, The Great Speckled Bird, devoted the cover to a picture of Duane Allman in his STP t-shirt playing on the stone steps at Piedmont. The accompanying article stated that everyone there that day knew they had experienced something extraordinary and unforgettable, and it was too big to stay just in Atlanta, or the South, or the US.

The community followed The Allman Brothers to gigs both free and paid; they were a guarantee of an outstanding musical experience.

The Brothers again played Piedmont Park July 7th, 1969 with The Grateful Dead for a free concert after the First Atlanta Pop Festival. Their set amazed the festival goers still in town. Then they joined the Dead to jam at the end of the evening and more than held their own. Now they really found their musical niche, and the secret was out.

The Brothers recently returned to play Piedmont 9/8/7 and the infusion of new blood plus the vets, made the groove live again.

Check a more complete story of that evening at www.thestripproject.com

`

`

Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the Summer of Love by Paul Krassner

realistchickActually, the Summer of Love in 1967 was born on October 6, 1966, the day that LSD became illegal.  In San Francisco, at precisely two o’clock in the afternoon, a cross-fertilization of mass protest and tribal celebration took place, as several hundred individuals simultaneously swallowed tabs of acid while the police stood by helplessly.  Internal possession was not against the law.  The CIA had originally envisioned using LSD as a means of control, but millions of young people became explorers of their own inner space.  Acid was serving as a vehicle to help deprogram themselves from a civilization of insane priorities.  The nuclear family was exploding.  Extended families were developing into an alternative society.

There had always been a spirit of counterculture, taking different forms along the way.  Just as the beats had evolved from the bohemians, the hippies were now evolving from the beats.  No longer did you have to feel like the only Martian on your block.  There were subcommunities developing across the country.  “Make love, not war” had become more than a simple slogan.  The banning of LSD also affected Bay Area underground papers.  The political Berkeley Barb got psychedelicized and the psychedelic San Francisco Oracle got politicized.  The CIA’s scenario had backfired.

The blossoming of the flower children–encompassing sex, drugs and rock’n’roll–was at its core a spiritual revolution, with religions of repression being replaced by religions of liberation, where psychotropic drugs became a sacrament, sensuality developed into exquisite forms of personal  art, and the way you lived your daily life demonstrated the heartbeat of your politics.  There was an epidemic of idealism.  Altruism became the highest form of selfishness.

Greek philosopher Socrates said, “Know thyself.”  Novelist Norman Mailer said, “Be thyself.”  And the ’60s counterculture said, “Change thyself.”  Comedian George Carlin–who had entered show biz in the late ’50s, wearing a suit and tie, performing traditional stand-up schtick–started surfing on that wave.  He reinvented himself visually–jeans, T-shirt, beard, ponytail–and acknowledges that smoking marijuana really helped him to fine-tune his material.

“My comedy changed because my life changed,” he says.  “The act followed what was going on in me.  Humor is very subjective, and what I was doing on stage didn’t match up with what was going on in my life or the country–1967 was the Summer of Love, it was the height of the cultural revolution–love, peace, free sex, all crested that summer.  Everything was changing.  I was playing big shows like Jack Paar and Ed Sullivan, but inside I was anti-authority and I hated that shit.  Parents might not have been able to relate, so I went to the kids.  I was using my act to further my ideas about the times.”

The mainstream media began to catch up with a whole new generation of pioneers traveling westward without killing a single Indian along the way.  San Francisco became the focus of this pilgrimage.  On Haight Street, runaway youngsters–refugees from their own famlies–stood outside a special tourist bus–guided by a driver “trained in sociological significance”–and they held mirrors up to the cameras pointing at them from the bus windows, so that the tourists would get photos of themselves trying to take photos of hippies.  When Time magazine decided to do a cover story on hippies, a cable to their San Francisco bureau instructed researchers to “go at the description and delineation of the subculture as if you were studying the Samoans or the Trobriand Islanders.”

This was at a time when a rumor that you could get legally high from smoking dried banana skins was eagerly spread across the country.  In San Francisco, there was a banana smoke-in, and an entrepreneur started a successful banana-powder mail-order business, charging $5 an ounce.  Agents from the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs headed for their own laboratory, faithfully cooking, scraping and grinding thirty pounds of bananas, following a recipe published by the underground weeklies.  For three weeks the FDA utilized apparatus that “smoked” the dried banana peels.  The Los Angeles Free Press promoted another hallucinogenic–pickled jalapeno peppers, anally inserted.  All over southern California, heads were shoving vegetables up their asses.  After I mentioned on stage that the next big drug would be FDA, sure enough, Time reported that there would be “a super-hallucinogen called FDA.”  Silly me, I thought I had made that up.

And then there was Newsweek.  Kate Coleman, who, before graduating from UC-Berkeley, was busted at a sit-in by the Free Speech Movement, got a job there in New York.

“In the summer of 1967,” she recalls, “Newsweek indirectly bought enough grass and paraphernalia to warrant a felony sentence in New York of one to 15 years.  Only three years behind the times, it was decided to do a cover story on marijuana, and naturally I was assigned to the story.  I went down to the Lower East Side’s Psychedelicatessen and purchased two beautiful water pipes, a hash pipe, roach holders, a dozen packets of cigarette papers, and a few little psychedelic toys.  What a haul!

“I also bought two ounces of Acapulco Gold and one ounce of Panama Red from my favorite exclusive downtown dealer.  Newsweek footed the whole bill without a ripple, and I got the payola of a lifetime.  But it didn’t end there.  The fact that marijuana was to be legitimized twixt the pages of Newsweek gave rise to unexpected curiosity on the part of both the senior editor and the writer of the piece, both of whom decided, independent of each other, that their respective editing and writing would lack verisimilitude unless they tried the stuff.  I was approached by people all over the magazine, asking me to get them some pot.”

A highlight of the Summer of Love for me was an acid trip at the 1967 Expo in Montreal.  I had been invited to speak at the Youth Pavilion and also to give my impressions, on Canadian TV, of the United States Pavilion, a huge geodesic dome engineered by Buckminster Fuller.  Before entering the U.S. pavilion, which was guarded by marines who had attended a special Protocol School, I ingested a 300-microgram tab of LSD.

“This pavilion is really beautiful, with all these flowing colors,” I said to the interviewer.  “You don’t see them, but I do.  There’s an interesting kind of symbolism, though.  These military men, combat marines, I don’t see that in any other pavilion, military men guiding you around, saying, ‘Yes, there’s the Little Girls room’ or ‘Would you like to touch my medals for killing Viet Cong?’  I think it’s very appropriate that we should be standing right here by the largest escalator in the western hemisphere, since my country is the greatest escalator of the war in southeast Asia….What I would like to do, as a gesture of my commitment–since I feel there’s something lacking in the American Pavilion, which is a certain recognition of the fact that the country is really split in two–since we’re a nation of symbols, I would like to indulge in a symbolic act.  I have my draft card here.”

“You’re kidding.”

“Would I kid about a thing like that?”

“It’s his draft card.”

(It was really a photostat of my draft card, since I burned one each time I was invited to speak at a college campus.)

“And I’ll hold a match here.”

“Are you sure you know what you’re doing?”

“If I may.”

“He’s burning his draft card.  How about that for a scoop, hey?”

“Now, the reason I’m doing this is, again, because we get hung up on symbols.  People will be more upset about this than about the fact that children are being burned alive in Vietnam….”

The marine lieutenant called his captain.  When the interview was finished, the captain told me it was against the law to burn my draft card.  So I took out my draft card and showed it to him.

“But he burned it,” the lieutenant insisted.  “I saw him, sir.  He burned it.”

“I burned a photostat of my draft card.  So I lied on television.  That’s not a crime.  People do it all the time.”

“It’s also against the law to make a copy of your draft card,” the captain said.

“Well, I destroyed the evidence.”

I knew that political demonstrations were barred at Expo, but I had managed to smuggle one in, along with the acid.  The interview was labeled an “incident,” and there was a heated argument between the U.S. Information Agency and the Canadian Broadcasting Company, but the incident was already on tape, so now it had become a free-speech issue.  It would be shown on TV that night and become front-page news in Montreal papers the next day.

Just as I was leaving the pavilion, a band struck up a fanfare.  I made the mistake of projecting my own feelings, and suddenly I was convinced that LSD had been sprayed into the air, that everybody was tripping, that peace and love were breaking out all over the world at that very moment.  As I was walking along, I started smiling at families and waving to them, and they were smiling at me and waving back.  But then a core of reality came to the surface, the force of my own feedback made me turn around, and I saw that those same people were now pointing at me.  What an asshole!  I still blush with embarrassment.

Now, a non-profit organization, the Council of Light, has organized a free 40th Anniversary all-day concert to be held at Golden Gate Park on September 2 “intended to not only celebrate the music, but also resonate with the consciousness raising of the ’60s as represented by eight goals chosen to receive donations and publicity from the concert.  They are: Environmental Sustainability, Relieve Poverty & Hunger, Raise Education, Promote Gender Equality, Reduce Child Mortality, Improve Maternal Health, Combat AIDS, and create a Global Partnership for Development in undeveloped nations.  Charities chosen by the Council representing these eight goals will receive all money raised beyond basic costs of the production.”

For information, check out summeroflove40th@yahoo.com.  But you don’t have to be present at the concert to celebrate this phenomenon that occurred four decades ago–an evolutionary jump in consciousness–exploding out of the blandness and repression of the Eisenhower-Nixon years.  Currently, a mass awakening, exploding out of the blandness and repression of the Bush-Cheney years, seems to be happening again.  Or is that just wishful thinking?

*   *   *I asked several folks to recollect an aspect of what the Summer of Love meant to them.

Stephen Gaskin–author of Cannabis Spirituality: When the Human Be-In of January 1967 at Golden Gate Park was conceived, it was against the background of sit-in’s and teach-in’s and was somewhat inspired by the civil rights movement.  It was like a true rumor when the word on Haight Street was that all the hippies were supposed to come out to the Polo Field and see us all together.

I walked up to that gang of hippies filling the meadow, and I had to sit down and lean against a tree as if I was coming on to acid.  While I was coming on, a mounted policeman rode up to look at the crowd and was addressed by a woman, also surveying the crowd.

She said, “Officer, my son is down there.  Help me find him.”

The officer replied, “Ma’am, everybody down there is smoking marijuana.  I can’t go down there.”

Later on, down by the stage, I saw a guy who seemed to be trying to hypnotize a young woman who was on acid by waving an incense stick in her face and rapping on her intently.  I thought he was messing with her mind and she seemed to be in trouble.  I tapped her on the shoulder to get her attention and said, “Do you need to be rescued?”

She said, with evident relief, “Yes, please!”

She and I walked over to the edge of the crowd and sat on the grass and she laid her head on my knee and finished coming on until she felt strong enough to go dig the rock and roll.

It was the first time we got to see how many of us there were.

Stewart Brand–publisher of The Whole Earth Catalog: As I recall, it was either late in 1967 or early next year that just the torso of the lovable dope dealer Superspade was found hanging from a tree out by Ocean Beach, signalling that the Mob was taking over from the amateurs, and the high times were not over, but the luv was.

The displaced amateur dealers, now skilled entrepreneurs, took their budding business acumen elsewhere in the 1970s, starting all manner of companies, such as Whole Earth Access (same name as my Catalog, quite different people).

Roberta Price–author of Huerfano: a memoir of life in the counterculture: In the summer of 1967, between junior and senior year, I got job in London as assistant to the Young Ideas editor at British Vogue.  I was a very young 21, but nobody asked if I had any ideas.  I got sandwiches for Mandy Clapperton, the acting Young Ideas editor (the previous one was out with hepatitis).  I went for clothes at Mary Quant and peeked over the office partition as a Beatle or Mick Jagger and Marianne Faithful walked through the office.  They all seemed frail and vulnerable in person.

My U.S. friend Pam was studying in London that summer, and at night we swung through Swinging London together.  At Granny Takes a Trip, I bought a white crocheted dress that stopped a few inches below my crotch.  Pam bought dope from a young Englishmen.  We couldn’t find rolling papers, so Pam used tampon wrapper paper to roll joints, which worked.  On Carnaby Street, we bought bubble dresses for us and Nehru jackets for the guys back home.

On weekend nights we went to the UFO, which had a constant light show and a staff who sold acid.  The Liverpool Love Festival, Procul Harem, Tomorrow, the Pink Floyd, Arthur Brown, Eric Burdon and Fairport Convention played.  We danced with men but couldn’t hear their names; the flashing lights were enough to give you an epileptic fit.  The crowd was a bit international, the space was dark, flash lit, grimy, vast.

Pam and I got $79 round-trip tickets on a German student train from London to Athens.  It took three days, and all day long they piped American rock music over the sound system.  Their musical taste wasn’t as good as at the UFO.  I heard “When you go to San Francisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair” at least 50 times.  We danced in the aisles anyway.

In Greece, we rented a VW bug with two young Englishmen we met on the train.  We drove around for a week, camping out at Delphi on the full moon.  I was restless and dreamed of the Oracle.  She was younger than I but looked like a hippie with her ethnic leather sandals and the wreath in her hair.  She told me that after that summer, everything would be different.  I already knew it.

Darryl Henriques–author of 50 Ways to Pave the Earth. I began my professional show business career in 1967 when I joined the San Francisco Mime Troupe, earning the princely sum of $5 a performance.  We were doing an antiwar Commedia play called The Military Lover.  The Fillmore, the Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan, the Doors, the Beatles, the Stones, the Byrds, the Animals–all of God’s creatures–you remember, don’t you?  That was the year Captain Kirk hot-rodded around the galaxy in the Starship Enterprise and Dustin Hoffman graduated with Mrs. Robinson.  Allen Ginsberg was Howling, Paul Krassner was realizing, Abbie Hoffman was freeloading, and Scoop Nisker on KSAN in San Francisco was telling everyone, “If you don’t like the news, then go out and make some of your own!”

We took the show on the road ($65 per week, a 1300% raise) and traveled across the country performing in theaters and colleges. It seemed every time we got to a college Dow Chemical had just been there, was coming there or, in the case of the University of Wisconsin, they were there.  Dow was going to colleges across the country to recruit students to assist them in the crucial task of fabricating napalm to be used in Vietnam.

Next morning we went to the demonstration at the Commerce building, and at one point someone picked up a bugle and blew the signal to charge.  The students immediately surrounded the building, and a group of them went in to conduct a peaceful sit-in.  The campus police were unable to convince the protesters to leave, so the Chancellor called in the city police who took it upon themselves to beat the students with their nightsticks and spray them with tear gas, sending 30 of them to the hospital.  It was officially the first violent protest against the peaceful protesting of the Vietnam War and Dow Chemical.

The irony was that according to the public relations director of Dow, they “could not have gotten better advertising” than student protests.  They even started a company publication called the Napalm News. Not only that, but more students signed up to be interviewed, and on many campuses it became a “badge of honor” to be interviewed.  Dow was justifiably infamous for their production of napalm, but their product that did more damage to people and the environment was Agent Orange.  It was an equal opportunity weapon since it poisoned American servicemen as well as Vietnamese peasants.  Better death through chemistry.

Little did I know how crucial it was for America to stop the Vietnamese from invading America.  But thank God, in the end we won and now the Vietnamese are busy making our running shoes and sewing our T-shirts.  You have to admit that killing over two million people to get them to make our running shoes was a bit extreme, but such are the pitfalls of the global economy.

Ken Babbs–Merry Prankster: Where were Ken Kesey and the Pranksters?  They had already gone, as Peter Coyote put it, “under the asphalt.”  The previous year, after two busts for marijuana, Kesey had faked a suicide and disappeared into Mexico, leaving me in charge of the bus and ramrodding the Acid Tests in LA which came to a screaming halt the day before LSD became illegal when the bus and the Pranksters slunk out of town and hied off to Mexico to join up with Kesey, everyone to return to the Hoo Ess Ay when Kesey gave hisself up to the FBI and was sentenced to six months in jail.

Kesey and Paige took the fall so the Pranksters could go free, reason being to keep Neal Cassady from going to trial.  He’d already been busted twice and had done two years in the Big House for two joints, and with one more conviction he’d be up for a life sentence.  In the high days of the Summer of Love, the whole fershlugglnger crew cranked up the bus and drove down to the sheriff’s honor camp to visit Kesey and Paige.  They parked in the lot next to the camp, speakers playing James Brown, Pranksters in their Day-Glo regalia, lined up at the gate to be checked in.

At the end of the day the bus pulled out, “Hit the Road, Jack” blaring, up the Bayshore into San Francisco to the Haight and a stop at 711 Ashbury to visit the Dead before they, too, got busted, the only appearance of the Pranksters in the Summer of Love carnival, and then it was back to Oregon, to gardening, building, kids in school, digging under the asphalt, deeper, joined by Kesey and Paige in the leaf-changing days of fall.

Mountain Girl–author of Primo Plant: Growing Marijuana Outdoors: Before the moon-shot, before Watergate, one summer a long long time ago, there was The Hippies.  They came to our Fair City, from every town, every place in the country, from near and far, looking for the Haight-Ashbury.  They were young, gripped with restlessness and seeking a higher  way of life.  They filled the sidewalks of the old neighborhood–looking, seeking, clutching old suitcases, barefoot and hungry, with no particular place to be.  Girls with raccoon eyes wept in the arms of boys just out of the Scouts, as hope faded for hot food and a safe place to sleep.  Exhaustion and grime settled over them, and as weeks passed, more and more came.

The local shopkeepers tried to cope, and the young stole and carried off whatever they could.  Puppies on strings and kittens stuffed in pockets accompanied the march.  The good folk were moved to give food, some helped the mob find sleeping space, but crime soared and frightened them.  The mayor of Fair City awoke in a foul mood and ordered sweeps, and the police raided freely.  Tear gas rolled over the crowded street as thousands of lives touched and found each other and eventually themselves  Music and songs from sidewalk songwriters filled the smokey air as joy spilled over and changed Fair City into Hippie Heaven.

And even today, Haight Street is filled with signs, clues, artifacts, reminders of the glory days for sale in a hundred shops.  Go there and see for yourself.

If you don’t know Paul Krassner, read his wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Krassner

You can now read The Realist issues online: http://www.ep.tc/realist/

https://voices.revealdigital.com/cgi-bin/independentvoices?a=cl&cl=CL1&sp=BHGDEIJ&ai=1&e=——-en-20–1–txt-txIN—————1

realistchick

Pink Floyd at Symphony Hall in Atlanta

pinkfloyd by HopHead

Back in the days when I was a committee chairman at the Georgia Tech Student Center, I was buddies with all the local concert promoters … and I took full advantage of these relationships. This was long before TicketBastard came to dominate the industry. Instead of computerized sales, the promoter divvied the actual printed tickets up and delivered them to the various ticket outlets all over the city. So at each outlet, you could only select from the tickets they had on hand.

Leveraging my relationship, I’d simply stop by the promoter’s office the day before the tickets went on sale and buy them directly from him – I could pick any seats I wanted since they hadn’t been distributed yet. It’s a beautiful thing to be in a office with an entire show’s worth of tickets to pick from! Generally I’d purchase the same fifth row, left of center seats for every show at the Atlanta Municipal Auditorium.

Pink Floyd, however, was appearing at Atlanta Symphony Hall during the Meddle tour – the first-ever rock concert at Symphony Hall. I was a huge Floyd fan, ever since Umma Gumma scared me silly. I’d never been to Symphony Hall and had no idea what tickets to buy – there was no seating chart at the office since they’d never before done a show at this venue. This particular show was especially important because I was getting tickets for all my friends as well, about two rows worth. So I just took Alex’s word on what the best seats were, and walked out of his office with 10 seats in row KK and another 10 in row LL.

I had no idea where these seats were located and had some trepidation – the seat numbers were unfamiliar and I’d spent all my friends’ money – but I shouldn’t have worried. Alex had taken care of me. The whole batch of us arrived at the concert tripping our brains out – how else are you supposed to see Pink Floyd? We entered the Hall in full hippie regalia and discovered that our seats were in the direct center of the first two rows of the balcony. Whoa! The balcony in Symphony Hall swoops right down almost to the stage – we were looking right down on top of it!

Looking down from our seats we could see a huge light boom with three rows of lights resting on the floor of the stage, stretching horizontally almost the entire width of the stage. Behind it, the curtain was closed. The show began almost subliminally with the sound of a beating heart gradually increasing in volume until it was just loud enough to hear. Then the lights started to pulse red in time with the beating heart. After a moment, the band started to play from behind the curtain. Already this was show unlike anything I’d ever experienced.

The lights continued to pulse and sequence in a manner I’d never seen before, and the curtain remained down until after the first song began to segue into the next. Suddenly, the entire massive light boom began to slowly and majestically rise from the floor until it was as high as the top of the stage – the lights still pulsing rhythmically with the music. Then the curtain opened, exposing the band and their equipment for the first time. Suddenly the entire light boom rolled from the front of the stage to the back and the lights rotated from pointing to the audience to pointing down at the band. Given the special effects available today that may not seem so much, but in 1970 it was brain overload!

Later in the show we heard a helicopter approaching – an unmistakable sound to anyone who had seen news clips from Viet Nam. Louder and louder, the helicopter sounded like it had entered the hall even though we couldn’t see it. It flew directly overhead, then behind, then around the hall again. It dawned on me that Pink Floyd’s sound crew was using quadraphonic speakers – I looked behind me and, sure enough, there were giant PA speakers positioned in the back corners of the balcony. Still, I felt like I needed to duck when the helicopter flew overhead. One of the guys with me stood up screaming, flung his clothes off, and ran out of the hall. This is a band that likes to play with your mind …

Pink Floyd Part Two

Ok, so I had a wonderful, mind-bending experience the first time I saw Pink Floyd – these guys had caught me by surprise with a show unlike any I had seen before. I knew they were going to mess up my mind, and still, they did it anyway. So next time they came to Atlanta I figured I was ready for them.

This time they were playing in support of their brand new album, Dark Side of the Moon, at the old Atlanta Municipal Auditorium instead of Symphony Hall. (Could the naked, screaming guy have had something to do with that?) The Municipal Auditorium was where I’d seen most of the shows that hit Atlanta – Traffic, the Who, Mountain, Elton John, the Dead, the ABB, among many others – most of them from my regular fifth row, left of center seats.

But this time, remembering the quadraphonic experience from Symphony Hall, I decided to get creative. Instead of sitting up front, I figured I’d get the seats with the best sound. So I took out a seating chart, drew a big X on it, and determined the exact center of the floor seating. This is where I bought two rows of tickets for Floyd (since I could get seats anywhere I wanted).

Well, when we arrived for this show we were even more psychedelicized than the last time, I mean we were on a different planet! We were a little late getting there (for obvious reasons) and, although the show hadn’t started yet, the auditorium was very crowded. Rather than work my way through the crowd in my precarious state of mind, I decided to ask an usher for help. Now I’m a tall guy – I seldom have to look up at anyone and when I do, it tends to make me a little uncomfortable. So when the usher told me to wait and came back with a guy about a foot – a foot! – taller than me, I was discombobulated to say the least. Then this giant of a man looks down on me and says in a voice I’ll never forget, a basso profundo not unlike Lurch the butler, “Come. With. Me.”

Yikes! The show hadn’t even begun yet and already the mind games had started. Lurch led us right past the rows I’d purchased, all the way to the front of the auditorium. I freaked when we went by the seats I knew were ours – I had no clue what could be happening. Turns out the soundman for Floyd had done the same thing I’d done – he’d drawn an X on the floor plan and situated his soundboard in the exact spot I’d selected for our tickets. In order to accommodate the missing seats, they had set up two rows of rickety, wooden folding chairs in the space between the front row and the stage. We were all seated, crammed together within touching distance of the stage.

Oh glory! The show started and Floyd proceeded to blow our minds. There were three black chicks doing back-up vocals all wearing sequined dresses. Each girl was wearing a different colored wig in bright neon red, blue and green. A guy wearing a gorilla suit cavorted across the stage, climbed some scaffolding, and began swinging on a rope from the balcony. Another guy dressed like the Mad Hatter walked down the aisle through the audience on stilts. When he reached the stage, he took one giant step up and started walking around the musicians. They ignored him as if he wasn’t there. Same with the gorilla. This is all happening right in front of us. No other concert experience had ever prepared me for this. The music was incredible and our minds were unlimbered from reality.

My buddy Jim was seated right next to me and was white-knuckled, grabbing the arms of his chair. Later he told me he thought he’d been kidnapped by aliens, for real. I can understand why. A truly unforgettable concert experience.

Eddie the road manager2

Hello boys and girls, grampas and mee-maws. Its your ole fiend Eddie the Road Manager with some more rambleings ’bout when I had some of the best times of my life in the Hippie community in good ole Atlanta.

Ya’ll remember The Fruit Jungle? I spent many late nights food tripping in that place. One thing cool…for a while there was an older dude probably in his late 40’s working there late shift, and I had been told that if you were broke, slip the dude a joint and he wouldn’t charge you. I had to try this and with a little paranoia on my part slipped the man two joints to pay for soda, cake and cigs…WOW!!! the cat smiled at me wiggled his eyebrows and said have a nice nite. After this, I would always bring him a “present” even if I wuz paying…unfortunatly he didn’t last too long there.

This ones a hoot…I know there has to be folks who remember this happening. In the rear of Atlantis Rising was a large dirt parking lot where folks started hanging out doing what we did back then. My friend Jimmy Smith and I were walking down a side street going to the parking lot when all of a sudden! Man all the cops you ever wanted to see were screeching and motorcycling and sireening to the parking lot…scared us to death!! I mean we thought it was the inquisition-final last round up-death to the beholder and then some come at last. Being prudent and not half dumb hippies he and I found a nice little hidey hole and hid our stashes and went to investigate. Not 10 minutes after the big cop-o-rama drama cops began leaving the area…swear to god 2 different motorcycle dudes shot us the peace sign!! Others were waving and smiling as they left…strange mo-pocky…we found out latter there was a beat cop in the area and was in the parking lot being pretty friendly with everybody and a couple of guys hanging out thougth it might be fun to dose this cop. They got a very pretty lady to offer the cop an iced cold coke with a hit of acid in it. What caused the big cop infestation was the poor guy was having so much FUN he forgot to call in on his radio and let the big cop on the radio know all was well. As I remember, the tripping policeman stayed with us for a few hours…I guess the cops thought we could take care of him….wonder where he wound up…..

Another fond memory of mine was the Turkey Trip in the ballroom of that hotel across from the Fox. I saw the poster for it, but I only remember the ABB playing that night. I had a friend who was new to atlanta and had never seen the allmans…so I somehow arranged to get him on the stage crew and buy him a hit or orange barrel. the first time I saw the ABB i was tripping my a** off so this would be a good way for Acey to see them (see previous post)…it was fun watching every body bumping around and trying to maintain while moving various mysterious pieces of musical equipment….sometime during the show, the Brothers were in a particularly intense jam and this weird guy jumped out of the audience and started wailing on Duane’s microphone…he was doing some pretty good lead singer moves but the mike was turned off…what was cool was no one jumped on the guy or tried to bounce him off the stage, Kim Payne Allman Bros. road manager just reached up and turned the mike on. This scared the shit out of leadsinger man to hear himself at volume and he kinda slunk back in to the audience.

First real concert I saw was the Dave Clark 5 in the auditorium…went to Atlanta Cabana and oggled them for a while.

Place I stayed for quite a while was wonderful. An apartment in an old house about block and a half from Catacombs…pot-ment was one of 3 in this house and Berry Oakley and Mike Callahan lived there for a while…Berry had just come off a tour with Tommy Roe and was just hanging…he used to get me stoned and teach me progressions on the guitar so he could practice bass lines…I was awful but it was fun. Our ‘potment was close enough to the strip where alot of times I would just put on some tunes turn um up and sit on the front porch and meet bunches of people…so cool.

Almost every memory I have about those days are positive and truly fun. There were times when a friend would get busted or in trouble and that would be a drag. I was stopped once driving and didn’t have my wallet on me so I was guilty of driving without a license…withno ID the good ole DeKalb county po lice called a PADDY WAGON!! and hauled me down to the city jail…bummer…I actually met these great black dudes whome I played checkers with at a quarter a game. I didn’t have to try very hard to lose but I made sure to. So these guys could buy cigaretts & shit. One bummer was there was a thing with music in the park that day and my friends who could get me out did not know i was busted untill Jim Neiman was doing his set and dedicated a song to “Eddie the road manager in the clink”. Man!! do you think i was lucky or what? I think I was very lucky at that time in history to go to the Atlanta city jail and come out smiling…..whew!!

I’ll try to add to this as time goes on…shoot I’m 59 years old memory ain’t what it used to be. I do miss all the friends I made back then…some of the best friends i’ve ever had…having some of the best times WE ever had. Now a days when i see the news and all the crap thats happening in the world and around the town i live in, I realize how very lucky we were to grow up in such turbulent times (LOL).

peace and happiness, eddie